Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Vanity vs. reality

So the good news is I got a call from Blain who is doing the compound buff and wax on the Mistress. He said he is amazed at how much better the boat actually came out than even he expected. Unfortunately, it will be another week before I can get down to check it out. Apparently knocking off 8 years of oxidation from a hull and deck that haven't been waxed can make a difference. I can't wait to see her. Price for this little jobbie? $650. Beautiful boat...priceless.

On the other hand, unlike my experience calling service shops in CA, no one, and I mean no one wants to touch this 6 man Givens life raft of mine. The fact that it hasn’t been serviced in a decade doesn't bode well for the result anyway, but the fact that no one even services them anymore should tell me something. I guess it's time to pony up and shell out the dough for a new life raft. Something I was really hoping to avoid.

Due to my budget restraints I am finding my self becoming pretty stingy. Not that I live elaborately to begin with, but eating out 2 - 3 times a week certainly isn't out of order. To manage the budget to make this trip happen I am really going to have to start living the life now. Letting all "disposable" income go to the boat. Call me Mr. Frugal. First step, quit smoking. I had my last one about a week ago. I am chewing on some gum for the occasional nicotine fit, but so far so good. Time to start rediscovering the culinary delights of Raman. Cheers everyone.

No comments: