Saturday, November 17, 2007

A Vote!

I suppose I got in the mood for a vote after the most recent democrat debate. I still am not sold on the name Romance for my boat. A single guy sailing a boat named Romance seems a little presumptuous. So, I've been racking my brain coming up with a few ideas. They are on the survey to the left of this post. Let me know which one you like best.

Sundowner: A person who makes his home anywhere the sun sets. I kind of liked this since I am looking at traveling west or following the sun around the world.

Jargo: My great grandfather was Christopher Columbus (Lum) Winters. Talk about a nautical name. Anyway, there is a great story about Lum riding his horse, Jargo, across a river to save a woman and her child from a flood.

Orion: Does anyone else look up at the night sky in the cooler months for this constellation? I don't know why exactly, but seeing him up there is like having an old friend around.

Pitchfork: I've got a great article framed in my office that features my parents when they were chasing a dream of theirs. The title reads, "A dream named Pitchfork". The Pitchfork was a ranch in OK they started for kids.

Sandra Mae: Well, that's my mom. Hi mom.

Romance: Current boat name. Saves the cost of relettering and re-registering the boat. And, there really isn't anything that isn't romantic about this whole scheme.

Rocinante: The noble steed of one Don Quixote. Read it if you haven't. It was also the name given to the truck John Steinbeck took around America in Travels with Charlie. Charlie was his dog. I've got one of those too.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought it was bad luck to change a boats name. Apparently with a little help from the gods and a LOT of champagne you can change it.

http://www.scanmar-yachts.com/docs/How%20to%20change%20your%20boat's%20name.pdf

http://www.yachtsee.com/helps/boatdenaming.php

JMo

Lee Winters said...

If Romance was the boats original name, I probably wouldn't even thing about it. Tempting fate and all. But, I was looking at the transom yeasterday and you can clearly see where there used to be old lettering. I can't make the name out, but it wasn't romance. So, this boats name has already been changed. Once more can't hurt, right?

Anonymous said...

Hi Lee,
Stick with "Romance" after reading your blog its clear your whole attitude to sailing is romantic... Clearly you are not limited to romancing ladies! (But good luck on that front too.)
Keep living the dream, mate.