Monday, July 21, 2008

Dancing with Hurricanes

After a few hours in the office this morning I’ll be heading to the airport for a weeks work in Philadelphia. Before I go, I’ll be doubling all my dock lines and centering the boat in the slip.
Hurricane season is no joke down here for the boaters. I am lucky in that I live in the best hurricane hole on the Texas Gulf Coast, but that doesn’t mean I can afford to get lazy about boat prep. As a standard, every time I leave for more than a day, I fill the water tank, charge the batteries to full, shut down everything but the bilge pumps, add additional dock lines including extra spring lines, and center the boat in the slip giving it as much room to move and dance as possible.

Dolly is on the way towards South Texas, but these forecasts have a habit of changing. If you want to keep a close eye on the storms down here check out the National Hurricane Center. The do a great job of tracking these lows from their earliest formation out in the Atlantic or sometimes even over Africa. Have a good week and go sailing.

LW

No comments: